• VALBRUNA LOOKS TOWARDS THE FUTURE AND LAUNCHES “E-Shop” Click here to read the news.

We master the fire in the era of steel

“Since the discovery of fire, man has radically changed his life;
He discovers metals, learns how to melt them, and begins to progress.
The innate talent of human beings continues to realize the great works of our days.
All this thanks to the discovery of… Stainless Steel!”

Move across Valbruna's 90 years history

Use mouse or space-bar

1925

Ernesto Gresele founded the “Ferriera Valbruna”, a small company specializing in forged equipment for use in agriculture.

1939

The steelworks and rolling mill came into operation alongside the activity of the ironworks.

1944

The Steelworks are completely destroyed during an air raid. Reconstruction work starts immediately.

1947

Ferriera Valbruna changes its name to “Acciaieria Valbruna Ernesto Gresele – AVEG”.

1957

Nicola Amenduni joins the company and focuses production on stainless steel, subsequently abandoning the production of low-alloy steels.

1960

The foundry is moved to Piove di Sacco (PD) to make space in the Vicenza facility for the growing demands of the steelworks and the rolling mill.

1972

The whole company is gradually moved to the new location in the industrial zone of Vicenza.

The melting capacity is increased with the installation of two furnaces and two AOD converters of 10 and 50 tons.

1973

Installation of a 4-strand continuous casting machine, the first in Italy for stainless steel.

In addition, a new 1000 ton automatic forging press is installed.

1974-1986

Important investments every year, including:
- Continuous heat treatment lines for coils and bars
- Pickling tunnel for coils and bars

1987

Start up of the continuous rolling mill for coils and bars in combination with a new continuous furnace for the heat treatment of coils.

1992

Pickling capacity doubles
for both coils and bars.

1994

Revamping of the melt shop.

1995-1996

Purchase of the Bolzano plant from the Falck Group and
re-engineering of the same.

1997

Start-up of the innovative Electro Slag Remelting (ESR) plant.

1998

New continuous furnace for heat treatment of bars in Vicenza.

2000

The production capacity in the cold drawn wire heat treatment department doubles thanks to the installation of a new line. In the same year: new pickling line for coils in Bolzano.

2001

Installation of a wire rod Stelmor process in the hot rolling mill.

2002

- New continuous casting machine
- Revamping of the ESR plant
- New continuous furnace for the treatment of coils in Bolzano.

2003

New pickling line in Vicenza.

2004

- Purchase of Slater Steels in Fort Wayne, IN – USA, renamed Valbruna Slater Stainless Inc.
- Installation of two lines for the production of threaded rods in Bolzano.
- New wire rod peeling & polishing machine.

2005

- Start-up of new ESR plant (the second in Vicenza)

- New bar-drawing machine for 20-32mm steel bars.

2006

- Start-up of the new automated warehouse
- New ingot casting line in Vicenza
- Renovation of the Fort Wayne ESR plant (the third)

2007

- New peeling line for 100-300mm steel bars.
- Installation of abrasive cut-off wheels for steel bars.

2008

New vacuum arc remelting furnace (VAR)

2009

- New 3000 tons automated forging press

- New 70 tons AOD converter.

2010

- Revamping of the ingot casting and teeming lines.
- New degreasing line for cold drawn bars and automatic straightener for propeller shafts.

2011

New hot rolling cooling bed.

2012

New peeling line for 16-18mm steel bars.

2013

New centerless grinding center

2014

Installation of online abrasive cut-off wheels with forge and 500mm bar peeling machine.

A company rooted history,
constantly progressing toward the future.

Scroll to top